“49% of the millennial workforce miss their morning coffee with colleagues during the lockdown”
The survey titled “Productively Brew-ding”, was aimed at understanding how millennial and Gen Z population are coping with the lockdown
As a result, coffee emerged as both, a productivity enabler and a companion during these challenging times, making it the go-to choice of beverage throughout the day
Chennai, India, 21st/ 22nd April 2020: Lavazza, the Italian brand that is among the world’s leading roasters, conducted a week-long survey titled “Productively Brew-ding” among millennials and the Gen Z population. The aim was to understand how this population is currently coping with social distancing, particularly while working from home during the lockdown. As a result, the survey results show that the respondents’ relationship with coffee goes beyond it being just a beverage; they see coffee as both, a productivity enabler in order to churn out those extra hours of work, and a companion if they decided to take a break, any time of the day. The survey was taken by over 5,000 respondents from across all major Indian cities including Chennai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mumbai, and New Delhi.
“Lavazza’s dedication has always been towards building social connections through the love for coffee. With the whole world currently under lockdown, we definitely miss socializing with our friends and colleagues over a cup of coffee and we’re sure this applies to each of us! The intention behind the Productively Brew-ding survey was to understand how the millennial and Gen Z population is dealing with the concept of social distancing, especially working from home. We were pleasantly surprised to find out that the younger sets of our population are depending on their daily dose of coffee to boost themselves up regularly. As anticipated, over 49% millennials are missing their morning cup of coffee with their colleagues and interestingly, a massive 60% of those channelizing their productivity through coffee also associate the beverage with their happy place as per the survey,” said Rachna Anbumani, Vice-President, Marketing, Lavazza India.
Key highlights from the survey include:
RISE N’ SHINE WITH A CUPPA!
We like our coffee cold! – the preferred lockdown coffee fix
- For nearly half the respondents (45%), a cold brew or cold coffee is their go-to lockdown coffee fix
Coffee boosts productivity when working from home
- 40% of respondents feel that non-stop rounds of coffee is what keeps them productive while working from home
Coffee with colleagues
- 49% of the millennial workforce miss their morning coffee with colleagues, more than any other aspect of their morning work routine; this is especially for those who associate coffee with productivity. This reiterates that coffee is both a productivity enabler and a companion for our millennial generation
Missing the smell of freshly brewed coffee
- 47% of respondents love and miss the smell of coffee as they walk into their office pantry.
DRIVING AWAY THOSE MID-DAY BLUES WITH CAFFEINE
A cup of coffee is the best breather
- Nearly 40% prefer fixing up a snack and a coffee when taking a break from work; this beats taking a power nap (28%) and a quick workout (20%)
WINDING DOWN WITH A CUPPA JOE
Missing out on coffee dates
- Amongst those missing meeting people outside their homes during the lockdown, 77% miss a coffee date with their significant other, while 23% miss family gatherings
Keeping up your spirits with coffee
- 25% of the respondents prefer to have a cup of coffee in their cozy spot with a cup of coffee in order to keep their spirits up, while 36% prefer scrolling through Instagram
- For those who associate coffee with productivity (40% of the total respondents), nearly 60% of them rely on coffee to keep themselves happy. Once again, coffee also serves as a relaxing companion
HAVE A DEADLINE, OR WANT TO BINGE-WATCH ALL NIGHT LONG? COFFEE TO THE RESCUE!
Your Night Companion
- A whopping 68% prefer some form of coffee (whether hot or cold) to get them through an all-nighter; contrary to popular belief, only 14% in total would opt for an energy drink. In terms of preference:
- The workforce segment prefers hot black coffee
- Students (predominantly Gen Z) prefer a cold fix